Basics of Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Protecting Your Big Boy Toys

Toy Insurance

Hey Good morning everybody! Dave Reichelt here just talking about insurance - we’ve got Labor day coming up. Everybody’s going out to enjoy a nice long holiday.

Whether you’re going out to a football game or doing some camping or just getting some sunshine - that is what we love about Idaho. The great outdoors. Of course some of us have outdoor all-terrain vehicles and we need insurance for those vehicles.

In the state of Idaho, you are required to register your 4x4, and because you register it that means you also have to insure it. Just like your own car.

More and more people go without insurance. This is why we’re talking about it today. You have to be careful especially when planning a long weekend with your outdoor vehicles. You have to be really careful especially if you’re one of those whose not insured - on one of the busiest weekends of the year - you might be at some real risk.

Let’s talk about 4x4’s first - basically any UTV’s or ATV’s. If they are registered in Idaho they have to have - $25,000-$50,000 liability coverage. If you’re still paying on it, there is a chance you might be covered since banks require that you have insurance on it.

We’re talking about the liability level and of course I like to see these at the 100-300 level because you never know when these could lead to serious accidents for someone else. So you at lease want to have that liability limit.

But you also need uninsured motorist and underinsured motorists because there are a lot of people out there that don’t have insurance on their 4x4 vehicles. If you get hit by one you want to make sure that you are covered for bodily injury.

Make sure that you have all the normal coverages for your 4x4’s that you have for your car. The nice thing about it is that it isn’t nearly as expensive as it is for your car.

Coverages for these 4x4’s are averaging at $15-$20 per month. That is covering everything with $100 comprehensive deductible and either a $250 or $500 collision deductible. That’s normal coverage for something like an ATV.

If you’re looking to buy a side by side which we’ll call an UTV where you can sit two to four people in it - that’s double the 4x4. Averaging $35-$40 per month. These cost a little bit more but Nationwide has some very good competitive pricing for these vehicles.

Just remember if you’re going out to buy a vehicle maybe for hunting season, the ATV’s are going to cost half as much as the UTV’s.

How do we get this all done? How do you know where you’re at with your insurance? If you want some competitive comparisons come see us or call us at (208) 232-DAVE (3283) or visit us on the web.

We want to make sure that everybody has a safe, happy and healthy Labor Day and we’ll take care of your ATV’s, RV’s, boats. Any outdoor toys that you have - we’ll cover it for you.

We’ll see you next time.

Would You Like More Information?
Get A FREE Quote

[contact-form-7 id="698" title="Long Term Care Request"]